Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A Painter of Ladies...

Fabulous early satire on the cosmetic arts from "The Town and Country Magazine, circa 1772. The engravings are from the same magazine, belles of the day, perhaps future customers?  enjoy!



To the Printer of the Town and Country Magazine,


S I R,


As I perceive you are an encourager of merit in every department of arts and sciences, I intreat you to introduce me to your readers, through the channel of your Magazine.


I am, by profession, a limner; but not meeting with success in the direct load of my calling, I applied my talents only indirectly to my profession, in other words, finding few ladies would employ me to paint their faces upon canvas, I undertook to paint fancy faces upon their own. In this pursuit I have been very successful, and have practised at Paris, with great approbation, for some years; during the course of which, I have had the honour to serve princesses of the blood, duchesses, countesses, and viscountesses, down to the bourgoisie, and have never failed giving ample satisfaction.


I have studied the necessary appearance in all situations, having proper countenances for the virgin, the bride, the widow ; the innocent tinge for the first ; the modest blush for the second ; and the softness of sorrow for the third. I can express either love, anger, or compassion; desire, or disgust—I have even a pencil for delight. Ladies may have their faces decorated, by the day, the week, or the month; according to the different colours of their cloaths, or the variety of their, head-dresses. I have a particular face for court mourning, which will last the whole time. I make the finest blue veins at a moment's warning, and fill up wrinkles, and the small pox, in the twinkling of an eye. I have also masquerade faces, that look as natural as real masks; whereby the heat and inconveniencies of such heavy countenances are avoided. A fresh assortment of patterns for all public places, are just finished, and ready to be laid on. 


Among others, there is a most beautiful Cornelys' face, that will bear the heat of the warmest apartments. The second is a most divine Pantheon face, that is proper even for a goddess. Besides these, there are Almack Brunettes, and Coterie Olives, for late vigils, and ill runs of luck, which never alter, and will stand the test for a week, in case the party should continue so long.


In a word, sir, I have countenances for every day and night in the year. Side and front box faces in great variety ; and mourning-coach faces always ready: besides riding and walking faces, that will stand the most inclement weather. If, after this, any lady should have any doubt of my skill, by applying to my apartments, in St. James's street, she may receive ocular demonstration of my abilities, and the most perfect secrecy will be preserved.


 I am, sir,


Yours, and the ladies,
  
 Most humble servant, 


Don Tinco De Pencilino




 I



No comments:

Post a Comment